Play! Pokémon Team Challenge—Summer 2021
The Play! Pokémon Team Challenge runs on the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online platform, but delivers the feeling of an in-store tournament while maintaining safe, social distancing in line with recommendations from the World Health Organization and local, regional, and national health authorities worldwide.
Local game stores will run four online qualifiers, creating a team where the four winners from their community will go on to represent their store in the playoffs to crown the Best Team in the Play! Pokémon Team Challenge.
- Qualifiers Period: April 3 - June 6, 2021
- Playoffs: June 19 - August 1, 2021
- Grand Finals: August 6-8, 2021
For more information, please review the Player FAQ.
Registration for the first weekend of tournaments on April 3 will open on March 26.
Before you register, you will need to sign in and create a player profile with RK9 Labs. We use Google Accounts for authentication, so you'll need to sign in with an email connected to a Google account. We believe Google has best-in-class account security features, and so we rely on them to vouch for who you are (authentication), and then we allow you to access certain things (authorization). If you need to connect your email, this article has instructions on how to use an existing email address.
To create your profile, click on your email address in the upper right corner of your browser after you sign in. You'll need to fill in all the fields (except Team Challenge League ID) and connect your Discord account before you can register for a tournament. Your Team Challenge League ID will be assigned when you register for your first Team Challenge tournament.
Once registration begins on March 26, you'll need to register for each tournament(s) that you wish to play in.
Please note: Players may only register and play in events for one store. Your store will be set with your initial Team Challenge registration.
You are eligible to take part in your Play! Store's Qualifiers if:
- you are a Masters division player and were born in 2004 or earlier (or those aged 18 and over if a resident of Brazil), and
- you are a resident of the country your eligible Play! Store located in.
Participating countries include:
- North America: Canada, United States of America (including Puerto Rico)
- Europe: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Ireland, Italy, Jersey, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
- Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil (players must be 18 years or older), Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay
- Oceania: Australia, New Zealand
Qualifier tournaments will be played within a single (Masters) division over the appropriate number of swiss rounds, followed by a top cut, as documented in the official tournament rules. The format for these qualifiers will be Standard.
The team Play-offs will be played after the end of the qualifying season, and will be played as single elimination between stores until a worldwide winning team is determined.
Each player will receive TCGO codes for participating in the Qualifiers. The codes will unlock in-game digital booster packs. Players will be awarded additional codes depending on your results. The winner of each Qualifier will receive an official Pokémon playmat. Each player will also receive codes for digital sleeves and deck boxes for having taken part in the event (distributed after conclusion of Qualifiers). Digital prizes will appear in the Player Dashboard once they have been awarded. Please note that digital prizes can only be awarded to players that registered through RK9.
For more information about prizing, please see the Player FAQ.