Play! Pokémon Team Challenge
With in-store events on temporary suspension, The Pokémon Company International are looking for new ways to support their Play! Pokémon stores and Pokémon Trading Card Game community. The Play! Pokémon Team Challenge is a global online event designed to offer Play! Stores new ways to engage with their local Pokémon Trading Card Game Community and compete with other stores around the world to see who will be the very best!
The Play! Pokémon Team Challenge will be run on the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online platform, but deliver the feeling of an in-store tournament whilst maintaining safe, social distancing in line with recommendations from the World Health Organisation and local, regional, and national health authorities worldwide.
Play! Stores can take part in the Play! Pokémon Team Challenge! Each eligible store will run 4 Qualifiers, creating a team where the 4 winners from their local community will go on to represent their store in the Play-Offs to crown the Best Team in the Play! Pokémon Team Challenge.
- Qualifiers 1st Period: December 5 - December 19, 2020
- Holiday Break: December 20, 2020 - January 5, 2021
- Qualifiers 2nd Period: January 6 - February 28, 2021
- Play-Offs: March 20 - End of May 2021
- Grand Final: End of May 2021 (TBA)
For more information, please review the Player FAQ.
Registration for the first weekend of tournaments on December 5 will open on November 27.
Before you register, you will need to sign in and create a player profile with RK9 Labs. We use Google Accounts for authentication, so you'll need to sign in with an email connected to a Google account. We believe Google has best-in-class account security features, and so we rely on them to vouch for who you are (authentication), and then we allow you to access certain things (authorization). If you need to connect your email, this article has instructions on how to use an existing email address.
To create your profile, click on your email address in the upper right corner of your browser after you sign in. You'll need to fill in all the fields (except Team Challenge League ID) and connect your Discord account before you can register for a tournament. Your Team Challenge League ID will be assigned when you register for your first Team Challenge tournament.
Once registration begins on November 27, you'll need to register for each tournament(s) that you wish to play in.
Please note: Players may only register and play in events for one store. Your store will be set with your initial Team Challenge registration.
You are eligible to take part in your Play! Store's Qualifiers if:
- you are a Masters division player and were born in 2004 or earlier (or those aged 18 and over if a resident of Brazil), and
- you are a resident of the country your eligible Play! Store located in.
Participating countries include:
- North America: Canada, United States of America (including Puerto Rico)
- Europe: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Ireland, Italy, Jersey, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
- Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil (players must be 18 years or older), Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay
- Oceania: Australia, New Zealand
Qualifier tournaments will be played within a single (Masters) division over the appropriate number of swiss rounds, followed by a top cut, as documented in the official tournament rules. The format for these qualifiers will be Standard.
The team Play-offs will be played after the end of the qualifying season, and will be played as single elimination between stores until a worldwide winning team is determined.
Each player will receive TCGO codes for participating in the Qualifiers. The codes will unlock in-game digital booster packs. You will be awarded additional codes depending on your results. The winner of each Qualifier will receive an official Pokémon playmat. Each player will also receive codes for digital sleeves and deck boxes for having taken part in the event (distributed after conclusion of Qualifiers). For more information about prizing, please see the Player FAQ. RK9 Labs is not responsbile for the prizing.